Deleting tc filters

I have a fairly sophisticated bandwidth control tree. I am using filters to allocate traffic to various HTB buckets according to packet marks. Nothing about that is terribly hard.

The problem is that my user population is dynamic. Users appear and disappear over time. Also, the priority to which a user is entitled changes over time. So, as these changes occur, I need to delete and recreate various classes, and I need to change the associated filters in order to route user traffic to the appropriate places. Deleting and reconstructing the entire tree is not an option.

The problem I'm running into is that it's *very* hard to figure out how to delete filters. And I'm not the only one who has found this difficult. After a lot of painful Googling, I found the following two outstanding examples:

http://www.mail-archive.com/lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg07359.html

http://lists.nocat.net/pipermail/nocat/2003-April/003004.html