Re: Ingress Shaping using IMQ

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 15:05, Aron Brand wrote:
> Hi Stef,
>
> Thanks for the helpful information.
>
> What do I need to set as the line rate for the LAN side shaper? I assume
> that if I want it to work it must be slower than the real downlink speed
> - is this right? Are there recommended values - such as 10% lower than
> the real downlink speed?
It depends.  But try 10%  and measure the link usage.

> I am wondering, has anyone done any benchmarks that indicate how
> accurate is shaping of TCP streams in the inbound direction? For
> example, say that during peak periods the customer wants to enforce 20%
> of the traffic to web and 80%  to FTP downloads, how long will it take
> until it stabilizes on these rates? And how accurate can I expect it to
> be?
It can be very accurate and very fast.  Like said before, it depends on the
software you use and how quick to software reacts on a change in the
bandwidth.
I did some bursts test with htb.  You can see on some of the graphs that if
there is an other tcp stream, htb reacts very fast.  But this only for
outoing packets and measered on the loopback interface.  So the problem is
not htb, but application, routers, modems, ...
http://docum.org/stef.coene/qos/tests/htb/burst/

Stef

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx