From: Stef Coene [mailto:stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 8:28 PM
To: Aron Brand; lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Ingress Shaping using IMQ

On Monday 19 January 2004 14:19, Aron Brand wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Here is a question that is probably of concern to many of us.
>
> I am under pressure to provide some solution for ingress traffic
> shaping. What my customer demands is to divide the downstream
> (ingress) of an ADSL lines to two classes of traffic - important
> traffic and non important downloads. He has a very reasonable
> requirement: he wants a guarantee of at least 1000kbps at all times
> for the important traffic on the downstream.
>
> Using ingress policing would be the trivial solution. But no says the
> customer - when the important traffic is not fully utilizing its rate,

> I want it to share the excess with other classes.
> After looking around, the answer I found was to use imq, which claims
> to allow traffic shaping on ingress traffic. So far so good.
>
> And now I arrive to the question: It is possible to configure
> everything in THEORY. The question is, it it really possible for me to

> give the guarantee that my customer is asking for? I can think of
> examples why it seems that the answer is no. For example, lets say the

> ingress line is completely saturated with non-important traffic. How
> on earth can the poor HTB determine whether important traffic is being

> drowned out - or there is simply no important traffic?
It can, but it will take some time before the non-important traffic will
slow down.

> My speculation so far - it is possible to configure these rules, and
> indeed this is what IMQ was invented for, but in true life there is no

> solution that works - since it is inherently impossible!
It's impossible because you can never control what people send to you.
Tcp will throttle down if there is less bandwidth, but this can take
some time.
So you can only hope the other side will stop sending packets if you
drop packets (I try the same with spam but it'snot woring :( )

> Has anyone really created and tested a working ingress traffic shaping

> solution?
You don't need imq for this.  If you put a router (or bridge) between
the ADSL and the LAN, you can shape on both interfaces.  So the LAN
interface can be used to shape incoming traffic.

Stef

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"