Re: pptp, vpn & traffic control

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:21:46 -0600 (CST), Martin A. Brown wrote
> Hello Doug,

Hi MartiUG :)

>  : Can you provide some example syntax for me given the following...
>
> I'll refrain until you have a more fully-formed scenario.

bugger... having done lots of reading yesterday the one thing I learnt about
htb is that I'm going to need some help! :)

> Since you
> are new to Linux traffic control, let me suggest that you consider
> using tcng
> (I'm a big fan--it's much more human-legible than raw tc syntax).
> See my tcng and HTB HOWTO [0].

Hummm....  let's stick to one system at a time?

Having read all about HTB yesterday I do actually understand most of it I
think...

Just not sure how I'm going to bind the bits to ppp yet...

>  : How do I make the limiting start when the ppp session comes up?
>
> Good question.....this will probably require some glue code.  Shell,
> perl, whatever you like.  Others may have better suggestions.  In
> short, the traffic control structures inside the kernel are static-
> -they can be manipulated (added/removed), although my impression
> (and my own usage) relies on creating a static traffic control
> configuration.  Regardless, if you can hook into an "ip-up" or "if-
> up" script on your PPTP server, then you can write raw tc commands
> which create the traffic control structures
> (and iptables, hint...hint) for each connection.

I spent some time this morning looking at ip-up.local and its parameters.

I can see I can get the pppX, local and remote ip numbers.

My current thinking is that I just add a line to the script to 'add'/bind the
new ip when the connection goes live, then add a line to ip-down.local to
remove the rule when the link goes down.

So how about this...?...

# In ip-up.local
tc qdisk add dev ppp<X> root handle 1:<X> htb
tc class add dev ppp<X> parent 1:<X> classid 1:<X> htb rate 56kbit ceil 56kbit
tc filter add dev ppp<X> parent 1:<X> protocol ip prio 1 u32 \
  match ip dest <X-remoteIP> flowid 1:<X>

How do I remove all this when the ppp connection goes off line?

Cheers DiG

--
Don Gould
The technology exists to give every home 10mbits per second for $10 per month!

www.skype.com - sorry it's not a linux tool but it's very kewl!  Wish a linux
guru would make something for nix as good as this!
news@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Best information about DSL technology and trends I've
found yet.
http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/ -