Re: Source routing two services in the intranet

Hello,

 : This solution above has a drawback. If i have to provide a different
 : service on a different computer in the internal network I can't, since
 : every package that reaches the linux router is being redirected to the
 : same computer in the internal network. Assume that besides the web
 : service in 192.168.100.10-192.168.100.17 (IP alias used here) we want
 : to to provide ssh service on 192.168.100.20-192.168.100.21 and want to
 : source routing both services in the linux. I believe that to solve this
 : i need to operate with iptables and iproute together and DNAT the
 : requests according to the port it is addressed to. It seems that
 : iproute by itself cannot do that. But to accomplish this i thing that a
 : solid knowledge of how the packages traverse the kernel is necessary
 : and that is what I am not sure about. So I would really appreciate if
 : anyone could help me write the iptables and iproute rules for the
 : example just mentioned. That would be a great help.

With regard to describing how a packet traverses the kernel, you will find
the KPTD and docum.org very helpful [0].  I would also suggest considering
(for your described application of the technology) that you look at the
--ctorigdst conntrack patch to netfilter [1].

-Martin

 [0] http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/kptd/
 [1] http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/netfilter-extensions-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.3

Try googling for ctorigdst also!