imq crash investigation

Hello.

As you know Patrick McHardy stopped to support IMQ. As for now, this stuff has an annoying problem and I've made a little investigation of it. So, maybe it will be useful for someone.

First, pass all traffic of the interface (as in, as out) though imq device. Something like:

iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i $DEV -j IMQ
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o $DEV -j IMQ

This works ok. At least, after a day of running this setup seems to be stable. Now, lets attach a qdisc to imq:

RATE=187
tc qdisc add dev imq0 handle 1: root tbf rate ${RATE}kbit \
    burst 15kb/8 limit 15kb

Ok, here it is. After some time (minutes,hours) I get a kernel panic.

As far as I know, IMQ is the _only_ way for now in Linux to limit the total bandwidth of the link (in+out). It would be excellent if somebody, enough expirenced in kernel hacking, will be so kind to fix that problem.

Best regards,
  Ivan Pesin