Re: interface making

Hello Cheongseng,

 : before this, when we want to setup the gateway to provide QoS. we need
 : to go though LARTC, follow the step configuration. finally, we need to
 : write the config. file using bash. then we execute the file to complete
 : the setting, m i rite?

The process is very much like this, although the exact procedure depends
on the nature of the tools you are using.

 : i suggest to make this complex steps more easier. how i make it?? i m
 : trying to make a form using JAVA, that form is for the adminstritor to
 : control the traffic. for example,
 :
 : at the beginning the adminstritor set the http higher priority. after
 : some times, he want to make charging. the adminstritor must have some
 : knowledge about the LARTC only he able to make the charging. because he
 : must charge the value in the config. file and execute it again.

To my knowledge, this is true now, and to a certain extent cannot be
otherwise.  Here's what I mean.  Each traffic control structure created in
the kernel is static, and would require changing a configuration file or
setting.

To minimize the administrative hassle of running a traffic control device,
you could use the tcng language [0].  This provides a much more
approachable way to discuss and manage traffic control systems.  The tcng
distribution comes with some good example configuration files, but you can
also consult a HOWTO I have written [1].

 : if we make a form to replace all this jobs. when we make changes in the
 : form, then the value in the config.file will be change follow the value
 : inside the form.

It sounds to me as though you wish to have a form front end (D/HTML) which
allows an admin to configure the traffic control system on the fly.  There
would doubtless be quite a niche market for this sort of an interface on
the traffic control system.  I certainly wouldn't want to tackle this job.

 : the adminstritor can make the charges by using the form. then the QoS
 : will become more user friendly, am i rite??

QoS is not a particularly user friendly topic, though, because of the
complexity of the systems involved.  Not only does the administrator need
to understand how burstiness and latency can be affected by different QoS
mechanisms, but this same person needs to understand a great deal about
the contents of IP packets.

I'd suggest examining tcng to see if it meets your needs for sufficiently
demystifying traffic control under Linux.  Good luck!

-Martin

 [0] http://tcng.sourceforge.net/
 [1] http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Traffic-Control-tcng-HTB-HOWTO/

--