Re: rate vs peakrate - TBF.

On Friday 14 November 2003 09:59, Suraj Shankar wrote:
> Hi,
>   Can you please explain to me the difference between
> rate and peakrate, in conjucture to TBF.
> IMHO,
> rate : controls the no. of pkts flowing through the
> pipe, and
> peakrate : controls the no. of tokens flowing through
> the bucket. A funtion(?) of peakrate and mtu is rate.
>   If this is true, why do I need to specify both
> peakrate and rate?
The bucket is a buffer of packets.  So if you have bucket full with tokens,
you can send some packets very fast.  The rate determines the speed that new
tokens are put in the bucket.  Without a peakrate, you can use the tokens in
the bucket to send packets at wire speed.  To prevent this, you can specify a
peakrate so you can limit the speed that tokens in the bucket can be used.

Stef

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"