routing for split multiple uplinks/providers with port forwarding

The fine document:

  http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

works nicely to make sure that answers to packets incoming to the
Linux router from a particular provider go back out again over the
same provider.

It doesn't work as given for connections that are port forwarded from the
Linux router to machines inside the local network (e.g. to a web server).

With port forwarding in the mix, packets arriving from the Internet to a
particular port on the Linux router have DNAT applied so that they pass
transparently on to the internal web server; but, the answer packets from
the web server arrive back at the Linux router and do not necessarily
go out by the same gateway/provider by which they came in.

I suspect the fix is somehow to mark the port forwarded packets with
a flag indicating on which interface they arrived at the Linux router,
and then preserve this flag into the answer packets on the web server.
On the Linux router I can then make sure that appropriately flagged
answer packets go out the correct interface.

Or, perhaps I could add a network alias (e.g. eth1:0) for the local
network interface on the router and somehow use ip routing to arrange that
packets arriving from each of the two Internet interfaces get assigned
to exit the router using only one of the two network card aliases, with
reply packets coming back the to the same alias and returning by the same
Internet interface by which they arrived.  Or maybe use two network cards.

Am I on the right track here?

--
-IAN!  Ian! D. Allen   Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
       EMail: idallen@xxxxxxxxxx   WWW: http://www.idallen.com/