Re: Explanation reqd. for few (more than few!) concepts in TC <long>

On Thursday 30 October 2003 07:10, Suraj Shankar wrote:
> > > available, right?
> > Most modems have a hugh queue to speed up downloads.
> >  But that queue can kill
> > the shaping you did.  So you have to be sure the
> > queue is never full.  And
> > the only thing to do so is to never send more data
> > then the modem can handle.
> > So you have to make sure YOU are the bottleneck.
>
> yes, I have a proof-of-concept! ... meaning wrote a
> script that works but, waiting to take it 'live'.

> http://lartc.org/lartc.html#AEN939 ; the part that
> lists parameters in CBQ ... was wondering how 'cell'
> can be defined.
If you bound a class, the class can never send more then the configure rate.
So that's the ceil.  If you add a sub class (not bounded), that class has to
respect the rate (in this case also the ceil) of it's parente.

> > One of the reasons why I like htb is you don't need
> > these confusing options.
> > And htb don't rely on the nic hardware to calculate
> > the actual rate.
> hmm, that's true.
And htb is maintained, while the cbq code is not.

> > Ah the WRR schedule.  I think one of these
> > parameters is the weight.  Just
> > take weight = rate / 10.
>
> okey, but how do I set it ...
> Usage: ... cbq bandwidth BPS avpkt BYTES [ mpu BYTES ]
>                [ cell BYTES ] [ ewma LOG ]
> ...this is what tc...help says, there isn't a weight
> parameter :(
Don't trust the help function :(.  My tip : go to http://docum.org, go to the
test pages and copy my cbq commands ,)

> Stef, I do really appreciate the time spent in trying
> to help me. Thank you.
No problem.

Stef

--