Re: Explanation reqd. for few (more than few!) concepts in TC <long>

Hi,
--- Stef Coene <stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > which (size of the packet) could vary, right?
> > this would then lead to a dynamically sized queue,
> is
> > this how it works?
> Yes, you can stor a a number of packets in a pfifo.
> So the total queue length
> (in bytes) can vary.
yes! I understood something :) Thank you.

> > okey, so can you please tell me, if I fail to be
> the
> > bottleneck, what maximum would happen ... IMO, I
> could
> > carry on shaping but not for that extra few bytes,
> now
> > available, right?
> Most modems have a hugh queue to speed up downloads.
>  But that queue can kill
> the shaping you did.  So you have to be sure the
> queue is never full.  And
> the only thing to do so is to never send more data
> then the modem can handle.
> So you have to make sure YOU are the bottleneck.
yes, I have a proof-of-concept! ... meaning wrote a
script that works but, waiting to take it 'live'.

> > 'ceil' IMHO, is a little different from 'cell',
> that
> > the lartc howto talks about.
> What part of the lartc howto ?
http://lartc.org/lartc.html#AEN939 ; the part that
lists parameters in CBQ ... was wondering how 'cell'
can be defined.

> > yeah, but the lartc howto talks about more ... so
> was
> > wondering!
> One of the reasons why I like htb is you don't need
> these confusing options.
> And htb don't rely on the nic hardware to calculate
> the actual rate.
hmm, that's true.

> > oops, I am sorry I meant according to the lartc
> howto,
> > there are few WRR parameters that need to be set
> for
> > CBQ!?
> Ah the WRR schedule.  I think one of these
> parameters is the weight.  Just
> take weight = rate / 10.
okey, but how do I set it ...
Usage: ... cbq bandwidth BPS avpkt BYTES [ mpu BYTES ]
               [ cell BYTES ] [ ewma LOG ]
...this is what tc...help says, there isn't a weight
parameter :(

> If you add a class qdisc as the root qdisc, all
> packets are queued in the
> class less qdisc and processed.  So you don't need a
> filter.
:)

Stef, I do really appreciate the time spent in trying
to help me. Thank you.

Warm Regards,
suraj.