Re: Explanation reqd. for few (more than few!) concepts in TC <long>

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 15:23, Suraj Shankar wrote:
> IMHO, classification is done by the filter within a
> classful qdisc; but, I was wondering why call a class
> inside a qdisc a class, why not call it a sub-qdisc,
> there must be something more to a class-vs-qdisc.
A qdisc is a queueing discipline : it's a queue for packets.  A class is
something virtual that hold some packets from that queue.

> > Since HTB takes bandwidth as parameters, to really
> > have any effect
> > you'll have to know how much bandwidth preciselly
> > you have. Like if you
> > have 128kbps ISDN, you must set HTB classes so that
> > cumulative rates of
> > the classes are not bigger that your real limit. If
> > not the shapping
> > will not be correct and precise.
>
> okey, so ideally for a bandwidth that varies (by few
> bytes) cbq is the best available?
No, you will have the same problem with cbq :(

Stef

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"