Re: Explanation reqd. for few (more than few!) concepts in TC <long>

Hi,
--- Damjan <gdamjan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The qdisc is what actually does the job. Some qdiscs
> allw you to define
> classes in them, but the kernel doesn't care about
> that. The kernel
> delivers a packet to the qdisc and it up to it to
> decide what to do with
> it (classify the packet etc..)
IMHO, classification is done by the filter within a
classful qdisc; but, I was wondering why call a class
inside a qdisc a class, why not call it a sub-qdisc,
there must be something more to a class-vs-qdisc.

> Since HTB takes bandwidth as parameters, to really
> have any effect
> you'll have to know how much bandwidth preciselly
> you have. Like if you
> have 128kbps ISDN, you must set HTB classes so that
> cumulative rates of
> the classes are not bigger that your real limit. If
> not the shapping
> will not be correct and precise.
okey, so ideally for a bandwidth that varies (by few
bytes) cbq is the best available?

> Ethernet is not the same as TCP/IP! And TC can shape
> other protocols
> than IP.
okey, this I didn't know :D
Spent the day doing, OSI and 802.3! Should have taken
Tanenbaum, during graduation seriously.
Sorry about this question.

Thank you, for all the help.

Regards,