IP Failover

Does anyone know of a system service that will provide automatic IP failover on a system with dual (redudnant) Ethernet adapters?

For example, I can simulate this by manually deactivating eth0 and activating eth1, although it takes about 15 secs for the MAC address to be updated.

It should be relatively simple to write a program that monitors the current Ethernet interface and does the change-over automatically (and forces the MAC update), but before re-inventing the wheel, I suspect there is already a system program that already does this, I just haven't found one on Red Hat 8.0.

thanks in advance,

--John Klingler