Re: IMQ Install Without Recompiling Kernel?

Hey guys, I finally got IMQ to work!!! This may be novel to many, but
recompiling the kernel has always slightly intimidated me until now, even
though I've successfully done it in the past. I've been working for three
days now getting IMQ support into the kernel and iptables.

    First off, I didn't want to do a manual compile. So I followed the
instructions for recompiling the RH src.rpm and it worked great after a
little research. I had kernel support for imq devices, but no iptables
support. So I began down the dark path of patch-o-matic. 99% of the docs out
there are for the version of iptables-1.2.6a which was the last version of
iptables to include patch-o-matic. Once I figured out how to work the
patch-o-matic magic, I was felt like I was on my way. I never could get the
new module sources created by iptables to be built into the new kernel-rpm
with rpmbuild. So with more research, I found some great pointers about
re-using the config out of the /boot directory. Once I edited that I
recompiled and all was well with the world.

    I've been a fairly hard Linux user now for three years and using
iproute2 now for a year. Now I understand that recompiling the kernel is
second-nature to most on this list, but I just wanted to share a positive
comment rather than a question for once. Most of the stuff involved with
this process is fairly easy "once you understand what's going on". That
reminds me of a joke between my boss and I, "There's no clear documentation
on this because if you are messing with this, you should already know what
you are doing". That actually stemmed from an installation of RADIUS about
three years ago.

In short and IMHO, use of the IMQ Device with classful queues is the
absolute best method to apply fine-tuned ingress/egress control to a
host/subnet. I want to say thanks to everyone to gave me great pointers and
help on this.

Walt