Re: Linux router configuration??

Ryan Johnson wrote:

I am going to assume you want the most basic router, just two interfaces.

1.) Make sure both network cards have been detected.
ifconfig eth0
ifconfig eth1

Can I have both the network cards in the same n/w...? Becoz If I try to use both NIC's with the same n/w, running <$ route -n> we can see either eth1 or eth0 repeated twice. Pls let me know where is the problem..?

Regards
-Raghu

2.) Set up each interface on its own network, make sure the interface has been activated, you can use ifconfig for this.
3.) issue the command
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
to enable ip fowarding, w/o this the kernel will not send packets between interfaces
4.) set the clients behind the router to point to the internal ip of your router

Any changes made to the system will have to be initialized during the boot process.

Of course if you have ip addresses that you would like to nat/masq behind the router, you will have to use iptables.

You really should be more specific on your needs.

Good luck.

Good morning at all, thanks for previous help, but I have another ask. I have a few experience of Linux world's, and I need to configure a Linux PC as router, what are the steps? What do I do?
Thanks.