Re: Simple PRIO + TBF at high rates

On Tuesday, 23 September 2003, at 19:02:21 +0200,
Javier Martin wrote:

> I'm trying to slow down http traffic on Gigabit link. The outbound rates on
> that interface range 0 .. 400 Mbit/s and I would like to throttle accurately
> to any rate between these while keeping non-http traffic unthrottled.
>
> What I do is to create a PRIO qdisc with the 3 usual bands (default prio
> mask) and a 4th band with a TBF attached with the desired rate. Like this
> (for 300 mbit/s):

Well, I am in no way an expert, but it seems to me that you could use
simply HTB on your outgoing ethernet link, create a class with rate
equal to ceil and equal to the greater bandwidth you will ever HTTP
allow to eat. Create another class to be the default one and let it grow
up to your link's bandwidth borrowing from HTTP traffic when there is
not 400 Mbps of them.

Then create a couple of filters to send traffic to the correct classes
and, maybe, attach a "sfq" qdisc to your HTTP and default leaves to
guarantee fairness for individual connections.

Hope it helps.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Sid (Linux 2.6.0-test5-mm3)