Re: blackhole class

Jay,

[ Note for posterity:  The term "blackhole" is used as a route type in
  the linux routing tables [1], and, as far as I know is not a term in
  traffic control.  This is about dropping traffic using traffic control
  mechanisms. ]

 : Im using a linux bridge to do traffic shaping for my school.  Recently
 : the decided they want to drop all p2p traffic possible

[ snip ]

 : What I am wondering is what is the best way to use the traffic control
 : stuff to drop traffic?  Should I just use a qdisc/class with a rate of
 : 0 or is there some way to specify the traffic should be dropped?

You can simply attach a policer to the filter which identifies the traffic
and use a drop action.  Add the following to the filter which identifies
the traffic you wish to drop.  Now, the filter will select all packets
based on your classifier, and the policer will drop all traffic so
matched.

  police rate 1bps burst 1 action drop/drop

Best of luck,

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx