Re: split access 2 uplinks

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 00:13, Alex wrote:
> I have setup split access with load balancing on a router that runs squid
> but it appears that the second line it almost empty, the router send packets
> trough the second line only from time to time, very rarely adn the mrtg
> graphs only show something like 10-16kbit used on that line and instead the
> primary line is full all the time. I have setup this only for squid, I don't
> do any masqurading for the local net, just web acces via squid proxy server.
> What's the remedy for this situation? Why does this happen? If that all I
> can do then I have no use for such a setup , it doesn't help me at all.

The problem is the type of load-balancing you are using here.  Simply
add the word "equalize", viz ;

> ip route add default scope global nexthop via 1.2.3.1 dev eth2 weight 1
> nexthop via 192.168.55.1 dev eth0 weight 1

ip route add equalize default scope global \
	nexthop via 1.2.3.1 dev eth2 weight 1 \
	nexthop via 192.168.55.1 dev eth0 weight 1

Without the 'equalize` parameter, the links will be equalized on the
basis of connection spreading, not alternate packets.  Since you only
/have/ one outgoing connection(squid) there are no connections(plural)
to equalize!

'equalize' forces iproute2 to equalise at the /packet/ level, not the
connection level - more appropriate in your situation.

google for "policy routing book" for more on this. (see chapter 5)

DISCLAIMER:  I'm new at this.  Let the List Gurus comment before
converting your production system on my say.. 8-/

HTH,
Steve