[LARTC] QoS upstream and downstream...

Hi

I know this question is being asked in some other forms but I am getting confused with the answers. I'll re-form the question again.

Say I want to implement QoS for users like -
512 kpbs downstream (incoming) and 128 kbps upstream (outgoing),
1 Mbps downstream (incoming) and 256 kbps upstream (outgoing), etc.

Is it possible to implement the above QoS scheme using HTB,SFQ etc ?
If yes how ? The network diagram is as given below.

                ------------------
Private --------| eth1      eth0 |-------Internet
ipaddresses     |                |
                ------------------
                   Linux firewall
                   with masquerade.

eth1 : internal interface
eth0/ppp0 : outgoing interface

The private ip-addresses are NATed before they go out to Internet.

The users will be distinguished on the basis of their private ip-addresses.

So far I know we can apply HTB,SFQ (as given in examples) on eth0 for outgoing traffic and marking packets in the PREROUTING stage using iptables. This will implement the QoS for upstream traffic.

Is it okay , if I simply mark packets on the basis of source ip-addresses only and put them in the appropriate classes or do I have to further consider classification of traffic on the basis of services like telnet, http, ftp, smtp etc as well ?

Similarly can I apply HTB,SFQ  on eth1 for incoming traffic and mark packets using iptables in the PREROUTING stage and this time on the basis of destination ipaddresses to implement the QoS requirements on download speeds ?

Will it give me the desired results as per requirements ?

If not, do we have any other solution to implement the above requirement ?

Help is invaluably appreciated.

Thanks,
Rajesh

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.