[LARTC] ensure game server latency

Hi group,

first of all: I am new to this group and hope to bring in some value
later. At the moment I am such a beginner that I will probably of no
use to anyone and only be asking stupid questions...

I am running a little private linux server with kernel 2.4.21.
It serves as a gameserver, webserver and mailserver, mainly.
It also does the pppoe connect via a DSL modem to my provider and the
NAT and forwarding for my local net (3 PCs).

I would like to ensure perfect game server latency since its
interactive (Quake 3 Arena), even while people are surfing my website
or I am sending a large mail from within my local net.

I read a little about QoS and are using a modified WonderShaper
script.

I am using 3 htb classes from which one is the interactive game server
class - it gets 80% of the upload bandwidth guaranteed.

tc -s class ls dev ppp0 shows me the classes and i see that traffic
gets put into the right classes.

So far - so good!

But there are still bad lags when gaming and some other person surfs
my web pages... :(

Any Ideas?

I can post my script if there is an interest in it...

Thanks in advance,
Tom.

--
Word Perfect isn't, Excel doesn't, Works won't.