Re: [LARTC] For a root-qdisc, can the bandwidth be smaller than the bandwidth of the device?

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 14:57, Martin A. Brown wrote:
>  : > For a root-qdisc, can the bandwidth be smaller than the bandwidth of
>  : > the device
>  :
>  : yes.  The root qdisc bandwidth *should* be set smaller than the
>  : bandwidth of the device by about 5%
>
> Well, wouldn't you say it depends on the qdisc in use?  If you are using
> CBQ, see the comments in section 9.5.4, "The famous CBQ qdisc":
>
>   http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.classful.html
>
> In short, you'll use the bandwidth parameter to both your "tc qdisc add"
> and your "tc class add" commands.
It's also not clear to me what anzp means with bandwidth.  If he means the
bandwidth parameter, then it's the nic speed.  The bandwidth parameter has to
be the NIC speed so 10 or 100 mbit.
But you can add a bounded class to the root qdisc so you can limit all
bandwidth and this can be different from the nic bandwidth.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"