[LARTC] Re: How to deal with burstable bandwidth from ISP ?

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 15:34, Stef Coene wrote:
> Then it's better to create a separate class for it and put your ssh traffic
> in it.

okay, i 'll do it your way ..

> > I am still learning about fw mark to shape both incoming and outgoing
> > bandwidth from my network.
> Incoming traffic can be tricky.  You need the imq device or a dedicated
> shaper for it so you can shape on 2 nic's.

for marking outgoing from local network, i put those rules in POSTROUTING.
i just want to know how about marking for downstream connection (from internet
to my local network), where should i put this rule ? Note that i use
different router for incoming and outgoing connection (multipath routing)..

> Then you have a problem.  You can not configure this with htb because you
> don't know the ISP bandwidth.  However, you can create a setup for 1024
> kbps. You will loose some precision because you are not the bottleneck
> anymore, but you will able to shape your link.

Just a thought in my mind, script work ? latency check ?
i need to figure this out, because all local ISP seems to be applied this kind
of rule to make price for Internet bandwidth more cheaper ..
And sadly i must take this ISP service because i cannot afford higher and
clear channel bandwidth ratio.

Regards,
Rio Martin.
--
Hell hath no fury like a bureaucrat scorned.
		-- Milton Friedman