Re: [LARTC] hardware requirements

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:08:03 +0300
alexandru matei <alex@xxxxx> wrote:

 : Hi,
 : I want to make a dedicated bridging traffic control machine using
 : ebtables and HTB. The requirements will be to shape a 10 Mbit link to
 : 1000 users. Is anyone have experience regarding the needed (estimated)
 : hardware for this (processor/memory/type of network cards) ?

Hey, Alex,

For a similar setup (except that users are doubled and I'm not using bridge),
I have a PIII/1GHz with two Interl EEpro100 cards. Works fine, at least for now.

The only problem I'm experiencing is with heavy udp traffic, f.e. Counter Strike
and Bnetd (Diablo, DiabloII, {Star|War}Craft) game play. Then the machine is reaching
some really high load averages, like 8 to 10. Have no idea how this
could be avoided.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Nickola