Re: [LARTC] Priority LAN over ftp/web server?

On Monday 07 July 2003 10:34, gatur@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Another newbie here :)
>
> I have a linux box setup with two NICs
> eth0 is 100mbit internal lan (192.168.100.*)
> eth1 is 10mbit internet
>
> On the linux box there is a ftp server and web server.
> I want to somehow priority the traffic from the internal lan
> over any traffic that is on the ftp and web server.
>
> I want to be able to have low ping with telnet/ssh/irc/web/ftp and various
> online games (quake and such) and at the same time let the ftp/web server
> take whatever bandwidth that is available when the local network isnt
> using any bandwidth.
>
> Is there anyone who could give me some pointers as where to start?
> I have checked out some scripts for adsl connections but to me it
> looks like they reserve bandwidth for ssh type of services and other
> services is unable to use the spare bandwidth when that is unused.
Some tips.  You can use htb to create different classes so the classes can use
unused bandwidt from each other.  You have to do this twice : htb can only
shape outgoing bandwidth.  Putting the traffic in the classes can be tricky,
but www is easy to do.  ftp data is not so easy.

Check out www.docum.org, maybe the info on it can help you.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx