Re: [LARTC] u32 clarification...limits on 2000>???

Hi,

This is the script I'm using to create tc configuration to shape
currently about 8000 ips separately so that each ip has guaranteed
bandwith and cannot exceed it. The script can be used to
shape up to class B. The configuration is using double hashing
for filtering rules. I haven't used it in production yet, but it shows
pretty good result on a testbed.
To test it further I've created configuration to shape range
192.168.1.0-192.168.254.0 (almost class B), i.e.about 65000 classes
and about 65000 filters. It takes very long time to apply on my
rather slow (P166mmx) test machine, but it doesn't throw a word
of complaint.

Creating configuration:
root@xxxx:~/perl/qos# time ./qos.conf

real    0m42.733s
user    0m40.950s
sys     0m0.490s

It creates file rc.qos. Applying configuration:
root@xxxx:~/perl/qos# time . ./rc.qos

real    125m48.033s
user    28m40.660s
sys     95m59.420s

root@xxxxxxx:~/perl/qos# tc qdisc ls | wc -l
  64520
root@xxxxxxx:~/perl/qos# tc filter ls dev eth0 parent 13:0 | wc -l
 129042
(2 output lines for a filter).

So the answer to your question most likely is no. There's no limit.
Hint: I've experienced something like that when I tried to use precompiled
binary (actually I compiled it myself but on different machine).
The errors were gone after I recompiled tc from the same sources
on the machine where it's being used. Could be some libraries
incompatibilities or changes made to some header files.
So look at the script if you're interested.

Michael

p.s. I'm not sure that larts list manager will allow attachment through.
If it doesn't and you want the script - email me.