[LARTC] traffic shaping + linksys gateway

Hello all.  Once upon a time, in the earlyish days of 802.11b and long
before anyone was selling wireless DSL gateways, I ate both pcmcia slots
on a thinkpad running debian with a wireless card and an ethernet card,
convinced the machine to forward packets, set up a DHCP server, struggled
with ipchains and such for security, and finally eventually achieved a
reasonably working setup for my home wireless LAN.  However, I did not
particularly enjoy the process, nor was I ever satisfied with the
robustness.

I've since left that residence and in so doing moved on to beautiful
dedicated hardware that requires nothing more from me than a few moments
configuration and flipping a switch.  A linksys wireless router now costs
about what a wifi card does, never mind the computer I had to have
attached to it to do everything else.  And it handles everything I need
from it perfectly without any complaint and without every flailing.

EXCEPT: it doesn't prioritize ssh traffic.  So that means I spend my life
floating in and out of buzzkill mode as various bulk downloads and uploads
saturate the link and smother my remote sessions with latency.  Today the
wondershaper was pointed out to me, and a finer teaser I've never seen:

  http://lartc.org/wondershaper/

  Before, without wondershaper, while uploading:
  round-trip min/avg/max = 2041.4/2332.1/2427.6 ms

  After, with wondershaper, during 220kbit/s upload:
  round-trip min/avg/max = 15.7/51.8/79.9 ms

MY QUESTION: do I have any chance of taking advantage of this without
junking my nice simple dedicated easy-to-configure hardware? I know that
it's technically possible to build and configure a linux machine to bridge
the wireless and wired LANs, run DHCP/DNS, speak PPPoE to the DSL modem,
NAT the internal machines, etc. etc. etc. and then I could do traffic
shaping directly on that.  But learning the ins and outs of all that
software is simply not appealing.  I have other priorities now.

I do have a dedicated linux machine hardwired to the linksys, but it has
no wireless hardware (and no easy opportunity, it's a specialized U1
server) so even if I was willing to go down this road I'd need a new box.
But I'm not.  Please don't think that I'm lazy, or ungrateful for all the
wonderful things open source has added to my life.  I am neither.  There
just comes a point where diving into another project like this no longer
appeals compared to working on my genuine interests.

Any tips/insight greatly appreciated, even if it's only that it's going to
be impossible without junking the linksys and switching to a linux
machine, which is what I expect... I'm just hoping I'm failing to see or
understand something.  If only one of the home wireless gateway vendors
saw a demand for traffic shaping -- but I think most home users are too
latency tolerant because they manipulate almost all their data locally.

Wouldn't it be cool if hacked firmware for the linksys that did traffic
shaping just materialized out of nowhere? I think I'll go wish on an open
source star tonight!

Somewhat hopefully,

--
Paul Phillips      | It's better to have gloved and tossed than never to
Stickler           | have played baseball.