Re: [LARTC] Some questions remaining about TC

On Monday 09 June 2003 23:18, Emmanuel SIMON wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I try to work with TC for a little while in my study and there still are a
> few questions that I can\'t find any answer anywhere.
>
> Firts about qdisc and classes:
>  - What is exactly the difference between qdsic and class ? They are
> so \"intimately tied together\" that i\'m not sure not make the difference.
> Why can\'t we have a qdsic HTB with a class CBQ within or reverse.
>  - We have classes but is there any heritage (i\'m not sure it is the right
> word) somewhere: between qdiscs, between classes or between qdiscs and
> classes.
A qdisc is a structure where a packet can be enqueued.  The most important is
the root qdisc.  That's the qdisc that will proces all packets leaving a NIC.
If you have classfull qdisc you can add classes.  A class will hold some part
of the traffic.  So all packets leaving a nic are enqueued in the root qdisc
and will be "forwarded" to a class.  Each class has 1 qdisc attached to it.
So it's the qdisc attached to a class that will reponsible for sending the
packet

Sorry, can't help you with your other questions.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"