Re: [LARTC] Wonder Shaper - New Features - Unofficial Version

On Friday 30 May 2003 11:24, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Hi, guys.
>
> I have tried emailing Bert with these updates, but he never got back to me,
> and I think this would be a genuinely useful addition to it's current
> feature set. :-)
>
> The featured improvements include:
>
> 1) Lowest priority traffic is bounded to it's bandwidth (currently set at
> 80%), so it cannot borrow more bandwidth from it's sibling classes. This
> seems to help greatly with higher priority services getting through much
> faster, without greatly taking away from the bandwidth available for the
> lowest priority traffic.
>
> 2) It now works for multiple interfaces. The settings are in the format of
> 1 config file per interface, typically named by the interface (although
> this is not too important, any name will do). These files should typically
> live in /etc/sysconfig/wshaper by default. The format is the usual shell
> variable assignment format, i.e. variable=value. Value names/values are the
> same as those at the top of the old Wonder Shaper script. Each interface is
> set and checked to the specified values when the usual stop/status/start
> commands are issued.
>
> 3) Note: I have commended out all the ingress shaping, because I run a
> 2.2.x kernel which doesn't support ingress policing properly. To enable
> this, simply uncomment the relevant lines in the wshaper script.
>
> The new wshaper script as well as a sample config file are both attached.
I have some remarks on the wshaper.
- The bandwidth parameter should reflect your real link bandwidth parameter.
So it's 100mbit if the NIC is connected with 100Mbit to the
router/switch/modem.  Its _NOT_ the modem bandwidth.
- The isolated parameter is not working and it can even disturb a cbq setup.
So you better remove it from all cbq classes.
- I miss the weight paramter.  It's better to provide one if you add a class.
Take weitht = rate / 10.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx