[LARTC] proxy arp & gratuitous ARP reply

Hello,

My apologies if this isn't the right place to send questions about this
thread.
I have a couple one's about proxy_arp and gratuitous arp reply frames.

I have setup the proxy_arp parameter on a linux system (kernel 2.4.20).
Now, when I start a M$-Windoze machine it complain about "...duplicated
IP address...".
This is a know behaviour, and the solution is regedit and
http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=15424

No problem, but I would like to know why the linux machine is replying
to the gratuitous ARP frames. IP command reference (and other internet
doc) reports: "After this, the router starts to answer ARP requests on
the interface <dev>, provided the route to the requested destination
does not go back via the same device."

Other question: is there anything to change this behaviour without
change the kernel source code
(http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.linux.security/2003-01/0633
.html)?

Please CC me.