Re: [LARTC] setting promisc with iproute2

Helo Pádraig,

 : What's the equivalent of `ifconfig eth0 promisc`
 : using the ip command. The documentation says
 : that promisc is an obsolete flag?

I have been able to use the following command to alter device flags.

    ip link set dev eth0 promisc on

See:

  http://linux-ip.net/html/tools-ip-link.html#tools-ip-link-set

Perhaps somebody with deeper kernel knowledge can explain the comment
about the obsolescence of the promisc (and allmulti) flags.  (I use the
word obsolescence instead of obsolete because I'm still able to use these
flags on my recent 2.4 kernels.)  I, too, have wondered about this note.

See the bottom of this page from the ip-cref manual for reference.

  http://linux-ip.net/gl/ip-cref/node10.html

Can anybody provide some clarification of this cautionary note?

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx