Re: [LARTC] TCP Rate Control

On Thursday 15 May 2003 23:23, Michael T. Babcock wrote:
> > But then I looked at this mail and realised that the best way to take
> > this forward is tests. I would be game to testing both TBF and RED in
> > the jig I have mentioned in my previous mail. Hopefully, should be able
> > produce comprehensive documentation, including detailed explanation of
> > the test setup, and the results over this weekend.
>
> I would be specifically interested in how an HTB + RED setup compares with
> the same (effective) configuration performs with just HTB.
>
> 1) HTB class on 100mbit line allocating 1mbit queue.
> 2) HTB class on 100mbit line allocating 1mbit RED queue.
> 3) HTB class on 100mbit line allocating 100 1mbit queues.
> 4) HTB class on 100mbit line allocating 100 1mbit RED queues.
>
> At near-saturation points, RED *should* give better performance (closer to
> complete saturation of the link).
And also how it reaches the saturation.  How many packets are dropped?  Does
it go straight to a flat line or is "jumping" around the line before it
stabelizes?  And what happens if you change the rate?  How fast does it
react?  How many packets are dropped?
(I'm planning to create such a setup my self, but I have no spare NIC)

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"