Re: [LARTC] TCP Rate Control

Stef, Michael,

Its worth reading up on how RED works while you're at it.  There are many
good
whitepapers on RED/GRED w.r.t. how TCP handles exponential backoff.  As I
understand it, TBF may not work all the time because the TCP server
(sending the packets) may respond incorrectly to the delayed ACKs on the
part of the client.  Dropping packets in a RED fashion as the queue builds
up instead of queuing the packets should get perfectly stable 100kbit/s.

I think we can use some test results to prove this. Varun ??

This mail caught me in the middle of writing a long theoritical explanation of why I think rate control might be better, which included my technical, philosophical, financial and ..er.. sexual reasons.

But then I looked at this mail and realised that the best way to take this forward is tests. I would be game to testing both TBF and RED in the jig I have mentioned in my previous mail. Hopefully, should be able produce comprehensive documentation, including detailed explanation of the test setup, and the results over this weekend.

Regards,
-Varun