[LARTC] HTB timer??

Hi;
As I understand, HTB use a timer in order to calculate rate.  In addition
it also use timer to tell whether classes are allowed to send packets or
not.
Could somebody tell me how this timer is calculated??

If you have, say, a link with capacity 10MB. If you so configure using HTB
two classes with the same parent to use 5MB each with priority 0,1 and
ceil 10MB.  What would happen if bandwidth decrease to under 5MB.

Would the highest prio class be the only served??

Thanks in advance

Lars
Student