Re: [LARTC] Failover to modem assistance req

On May 11, 2003 20:46 pm, gypsy wrote:
> My objective is to have the modem connection take over when the DSL
> fails.  The DSL fails as the result of temperature and humidity
> fluctuations that cause a disconnect :(

I had one flakey modem for a few days. I set rp-PPPoE to:

CONNECT_TIMEOUT=0

from the default of 30. This makes it keep trying the connection infinitely
until it wins. I know this works because I attached a script to ip-up.local
to email us whenever the link went up which included that fact, plus the
grepped syslog info and the new ip(s).

I put that timeout=0 in all adsl connections now. Since I have my router
script set to run from ip-up.local, things get 'fixed' if another link comes
up anyhow.

It won't help the temp/humid prob, but it will bring it up as soon as possible
(at the expense of filling the log file with a bunch of failed attempts).

The above notion has been succesfull in overcoming both a flakey modem in one
case and an equally flakey cable in another.

This is only with pppoe of course, if you have a normal ether connection over
xdsl I don't have a fix for it, except to hang something from (I think
Julian's) dead gw patch. Or, you could do that anyhow I guess.

Another thing you could do that's kind of klugy, is to just ping gw, sleep x
until it fails and then bring up the dialup line and change the routing
tables and incorporate that kind of logic into ip-up until the xdsl comes
back and you can swx gw's.

Just one thought anyhow.

Oh, and re the temp/humid, you could graph the stuff over a week or so and
pick an alarm level and have something email/phone you when it's going bad.
You can get temp from sensorsd and match it to the problem. No simple/quick
way of getting humidity values without some wx h/w, but wouldn't be *that
expensive.

--
Regards, Paul Evans