Re: [LARTC] load balancing

Hello Víctor,

 : I tried this and it works when an interface goes down, but how can I do
 : if it's not an interface but one of these gateways that goes down? I
 : would like that in this case, the apropriate "nexthop" drops too, so my
 : traffic goes through the other two, and when that fallen gateway is
 : once again alive, the "nexthop" comes alive too, so it's once again
 : used. How can I do this?

You probably should try out the dead gateway detection patches by Julian
Anastasov [1] documented here [2].

I have not yet used the DGD patches, but my understanding is that they'll
detect unreachability of the nexthop and mark a route as dead until the
nexthop becomes reachable again.

As I'm sure you can imagine, it's much more difficult to identify problems
further upstream--and that's what dynamic routing protocols are for,
anyway.

 : >/sbin/ip route add equalize \
 : >            nexthop via $ADSL_GW1 dev $ADSL_IFACE1 weight 1\
 : >            nexthop via $ADSL_GW2 dev $ADSL_IFACE2 weight 1\
 : >            nexthop via $ADSL_GW3 dev $ADSL_IFACE3 weight 1

Best of luck,

-Martin

 [1]  http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/#routes
 [2]  http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/dgd-usage.txt