Re: [LARTC] Split Access Detail Question

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 23:53, Carol Anne Ogdin wrote:
> Under what
> conditions would I want traffic arriving at my router from ISP #1 to be
> sent back out to ISP #2, or vice versa?

For this I would say under no conditions. If a packet arrives from one
ISP and you respond via another the machine waiting for the packet to
arrive will be confused. It's waiting for a packet from the ISP it sent
the first packet to.

I am not sure you could get away with this under any circumstances.
General rule is what ever interface a packet arrives, reverse packets
should flow over the same interface.

If an app is running with a persistant connection connection to your
network it will want all communication to take place over the same
connection. So if it starts on ISP1, it will remain on ISP1 until the
connection is broken. At which time if an attempt to make another
connection is made, theoretically it will take place via ISP2. Of course
depending on your weights and etc.

It's like asking me a question, and a guy named Bob runs over and tells
you the answer. Of course us humans having intelligence may except the
answer. But if you were waiting on the answer to come from me, getting
one from Bob does not cut the mustard. You will still be waiting for one
from me.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.