[LARTC] What happens when needed route is not present

Hello,
I am developing an on-demand routing software.
I have 2 questions to ask:

- how can I discover that some packets have a destination address for
which no route exists? (so I can start on-demand search for a new route)
- what happens to packets without route (kernel discards them? put them
in a queue?)

Thank in advance for any reply!
--
Mario Giammarco <mgiammarco@xxxxxxxxxxx>