Re: [LARTC] Setting up an ip-tunnel

> I would recommend first consulting with the firewall administrator, as
> setting up tunnels through firewalls is not always regarded by
> security admins as a friendly action.  It may even be against your
> corporate policy.

Wouldn't think it to be a problem as it's just a firewall sitting in the
way of the private computers of students at our collage and they haven't
setup any rules of this kind.

> Here's an example of using GRE tunnels ("ip tunnel"):
>
>   http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.tunnel.gre.html#AEN333

This tutorial assumes that I have control over the routers connecting
the different LANs together. Unfortunately I don't think they (the
admins hosting the firewall) would honour my request for them to setup a
ip-tunnel for me specifically. As I haven't setup an ip-tunnel before I
have no idea if it's even possible to do so if I don't have control over
the firewall I'm behind. Is it or am I out of luck? Is it in that case
possible in _any_ way for the computer with the public ip to communicate
with the one behind the firewall "directly"?

> If you need any sort of generic tunnel through which the two hosts can
> communicate, you can also consider CIPE.

Haven't heard of it, but I'll have a look.

> Have you thought of using ssh port forwarding?

Haven't looked into it so much but as I understand you'll have to
control the firewall and setup ssh-forwarding there for it to work, and
I haven't got that control.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Patrick Börjesson