[LARTC] Wonder shaper between two ethernet links

This is quiet possibly a simple and obvious question but I'm only getting
to grips with traffic shaping and filtering. I have a firewall with two
ethernet connections, one internal (eth0) and one external to a modem
(eth1). I'm trying to set up a filter on eth1 that will give interactive
traffic high priority outgoing and limit downloads to a fixed rate. This
is what I thought wondershaper was meant to do.

However, on the last line of the script

tc filter add dev $DEV parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 u32 match ip src \
   0.0.0.0/0 police rate ${DOWNLINK}kbit burst 10k drop flowid :1

All traffic will be dropped and I can't figure out why. Any help would be
appreciated or at least a pointer to the right section to start reading.
Rooting through the archives didn't seem to have an obvious answer and
neither did the HOWTO but that is likely to be my pooor understanding more
than anything else

Thanks