Re: [LARTC] Configuration of CBQ

On Sunday 27 April 2003 16:52, Awie wrote:
> All,
>
> I plan to config my network by using CBQ (Attached the configuration
> files). I want to do a packet prioritization instead traffic shaping
> (perhaps in the future I will need it).
>
> The result that I want :
>
> 1. HTTP gets the 1st priority
> 2. SMTP and some other packet get the 2nd
> 3. FTP gets the 3rd
>
> Should I configure the "priority default"? (I did it in Cisco router, last
> time)
>
> Your answer is very appreciated. Many thanks for your help.
What do you mean with priority??  Do you mean that all HTTP traffic should be
send first?  If you do, then you a big download can kill all FTP or SMTP
traffic.  To prevent this, you have to shape the traffic.

Isn't it better to say that http can always use at least 60% of the link?  If
there is no other traffic, HTTP can use 100%.  Ftp can use 100% traffic, but
of there is other traffic, it will fal back to 10.

So something like this:
HTTP : 60 %
SMTP : 30 %
FTP : 10 %

Traffic that can use a higher priority is real-time traffic like telnet, ssh
or traffic that needs low delays like ACK.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"