[LARTC] Testing traffic control

We are just starting to research this stuff - I expect this mailing list
to save my bacon many times :)

I'd like to hear some ideas on how people test their setups. It seems to
me that the ideal testing rig would be two computers, one on either side
the router. Have one computer open up some number of connections with
various procol characteristics to the other and start blasting data
through each connection. Have the other computer display the rate at
which data is being received for each connection in a really cool
graphical way.

Does anyone here actually have the tools to do this? I would be terribly
grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.