Re: [LARTC] cbq.init

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 20:58, larry lefthook wrote:
> About the cbq.init. Four machines which traffic to limit in same LAN.
> Is the samething if I put limiting rules to four different files or all to
> the same file? Like:
>
> DEVICE=eth0,10Mbit,1Mbit
> RATE=64Kbit
> WEIGHT=6Kbit
> PRIO=5
> RULE=192.168.0.5
> RULE=192.168.0.6
> RULE=192.168.0.7
> RULE=192.168.0.8
>
> OR four equal files with different IPs, Ids and no PARENT rule?
> What style of ID numbering you use if there is many conf files?
>
> I read about htb.init problem here:
> "<snip>
> LEAF=sfq
> RULE=192.168.1.[1..6]
> The problem is when user start to download with Flashget,MassDownloader
> (with 10 threads) he kills the internet connection (240Kbit) without
> overlimiting his 80Kbit. Other users get 1-2kbps, witch is extremely
> unpleasant." And the answer: "You can try the esfq qdisc. You can create
> the different queues based on ip-addresses and/or ports and this for source
> and/or destination."
>
> I have cbq.init and LEAF=default (tbf). Can Flashget & others do me the
> above thing? Just suspicious...perhaps stupid questions.
Not stupid, but the wrong place.  This is not the cbq.init discussion list.
Howerver some remarks.  I think the esfq idea came from me.  You can use if
you know why.  So if you are not satisfied with cbq.init, try to create your
own script.

You can have the sfq "problem" if you add mutliple users in the same class.
With the sfq qdisc, each stream (determined by src/dst and port/ip-address)
has the same opportunity to send something.  The esfq qdisc can be configured
to only use the src address to create the streams so the each users  has his
own little queue.  And so they have the same chance to send something.

Or you can create 1 class for each user.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"