Re: [LARTC] Hardware reqs for 10Mbps forwarding and shaping.

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 14:12, Cameron Kerr wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Environment:
> 	50ish client PCs running Windows XP
> 	10Mbps internet connection
> 	Primary application is internet gaming and some web browsing.
>
> I would like to create a Linux based solution which would provide
> network monitoring services, and traffic shaping to prioritise
> interactive traffic.
>
> What kind of hardware would I need to use to be able to forward at
> 10Mbps, with low latency? Has anyone done such a demanding chore with
> LARTC?
The hardware depends on how many active classes you will have and how
complicated your filter rules are.  I once create a few 1000 active classes
on a 486 shaping 10Mbit and the box survived it.  The filter rules where very
simple.

> Ideally I'd like to use a bridged solution, so if it screws up, the user
> can simply unplug the cables, and join then with a cable joiner. Is this
> just asking for trouble? I know I would have to use 2.5.47???, which I'm
> not really familiar with, how stable is 2.5 ATM?
You can use kernel 2.4.20 and configure it as bridge.  If you want to control
the traffic, you also need ebtables (this is iptables for a brdige).

> I also have a query about scheduling. I'm thinking that it would be
> unwise to use things like preemptive scheduling, since that's more for
> user-space apps, not kernel ops. Am I right in thinking this?
Yes (I think).

> Many thanks. I'm trying out LARTC with an old 4/66, but installing takes
> bloody ages (Debian)
Or install it on a fast pc and switch the disks.  Works great :)

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"