[LARTC] Hardware reqs for 10Mbps forwarding and shaping.

Greetings.

Environment:
	50ish client PCs running Windows XP
	10Mbps internet connection
	Primary application is internet gaming and some web browsing.

I would like to create a Linux based solution which would provide
network monitoring services, and traffic shaping to prioritise
interactive traffic.

What kind of hardware would I need to use to be able to forward at
10Mbps, with low latency? Has anyone done such a demanding chore with
LARTC?

Ideally I'd like to use a bridged solution, so if it screws up, the user
can simply unplug the cables, and join then with a cable joiner. Is this
just asking for trouble? I know I would have to use 2.5.47???, which I'm
not really familiar with, how stable is 2.5 ATM?

I also have a query about scheduling. I'm thinking that it would be
unwise to use things like preemptive scheduling, since that's more for
user-space apps, not kernel ops. Am I right in thinking this?

Many thanks. I'm trying out LARTC with an old 4/66, but installing takes
bloody ages (Debian)

--
Cameron Kerr
Email:   cameron.kerr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx