Re: [LARTC] a simple setup with tbf and prio?

Frank,

 : > You have more sophisticated needs, because you wish to:
 : >   - shape total traffic to a specified rate AND
 : >   - give priority to some traffic
 :
 : I hoped classless merely meant it couldn't put stuff in different
 : classes, but that it could still serve as a parent to a single other
 : qdisc. Is there any fundamental reason why it can't, apart from 'code
 : simplicity'?

Well, you could always attach a TBF to one of the prio classes, but then
you are limiting traffic only in that one class, not limiting the total
bandwidth transmitted on the interface.  I'll copy in something I wrote
earlier this year about classful vs. classless queuing disciplines:

A classless queuing discipline cannot contain another queueing discipline.

A classful queuing discipline can contain classes and leaf queuing
disciplines.

In other words:

  - a classless queuing discipline is, by definition, a terminal qdisc
  - a classful queuing discipline can be terminal or
    - can contain a number of classes, each of which
      - can contain another queuing discipline (classless or classful)

Does that illustrate for you why the top-level class should perform the
shaping?

 : > You are in luck, because HTB (hierarchical token bucket) is a classful
 : > token bucket filter.  So, have a look at HTB [2], which is a part of
 : > kernel 2.4.20+.
 : I was avoiding it because it'd involve having to get a new version of
 : iproute2 :)

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx