Re: [LARTC] Networking options + patch

On Monday 24 March 2003 16:27, sun reflex4 wrote:
> thanx for the fast reply, and i have just printed the "Kernel HOWTO", to
> read it carefully before doing anything. In respect to "m", should i leave
> it in the .config, or replace it with "y" to enable e.g. CBQ or other
> things?
There are also other ways for configuring the kernel.  Try to run
make menuconfig
in /usr/scr/linux.

Compiling an option as module or not is your choice.  If you compile it as a
module and you change something in the source, you can remove the module and
reload the modified module.  I sometimes use it to test a change in the htb
qdisc.  I also have all qos options compiled as module.  I don't use them so
I don't have them in the kernel.  But if I want to use them to test
something, there are loaded by the kernel.

Be aware, compiling and booting from your own kernel is a real challenge if
it's your first time.  Be sure you ALWAYS have a good kernel so you can go
back to your old situation.  Or try make bzdisk.  It will create the new
kernel and place it on a floppy so you can boot from it.  If boot
succesfully, you can configure your boot loader to use it.

I also suggest using grub as boot loader and not lilo.  Grub is "filesystem
aware" so it can see the kernel in the file system.  If you use lilo, you
have to update the bootloader each time you create a new kernel.  Debian has
a script that finds all kernels that can be used and configures grub
accordingly.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx