Re: [LARTC] Networking options + patch

thanx for the fast reply, and i have just printed the "Kernel HOWTO", to read it carefully before doing anything. In respect to "m", should i leave it in the .config, or replace it with "y" to enable e.g. CBQ or other things?

bye

<== sunreflex4 ==>

From: Stef Coene <stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "sun reflex4" <sunreflex4@xxxxxxxxxxx>, lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LARTC] Networking options + patch
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:18:57 +0100

On Monday 24 March 2003 15:38, sun reflex4 wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have 3 small questions:
>
> 1)In the /usr/src/linux/.config : there is the option "m", I know y and n,
> but is m?
m is for module. That's a kernel extention that can be loaded at run time.

> 2)After I change there some values, do I need to compile anything? or just
> save the file?
You have to recompile the kernel and the modules and boot from the new
compiled kernel.

> 3)I want to patch my SuSE 8.1 with HTB, i got the file htb2.diff, but where
> should I place it to call "patch -p1 < filename.diff" ??
Anywhere you want. As long as you run the command from /usr/src/linux.

It seems to me that this is your first kernel compile. I suggest you read the
kernel HOWTO because it's possible that you make an error and leave your box
unbootlable.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx