Re: [LARTC] [LONG] Weird problem with HTB using htb.init

On Sunday 16 March 2003 21:52, Ricardo Jorge da Fonseca Marques Ferreira
wrote:
> This is a long message. Please use a monospace font :)
>
> I'm trying to shape the traffic between my LAN and the Internet. My link is
> an ADSL 512/128 line. The network is shaped like this:
>
>        LAN                     GATEWAY                 ROUTER
>  ------------------          -------------          ------------
>
> |  192.168.0.1/16  | <----> | 192.168.0.1 | <----> | 10.0.0.138 | <--> INET
>
>  ------------------          -------------          ------------
>
> NAT/PAT/MASQ occurs in two places. From gateway to router (192.168.0.1/16
> -> 10.0.0.1/8) and from router to net. I've put the shaper in my gateway
> and am trying to shape both incoming & outgoing traffic by placing shapers
> at both eth0 (download) & eth1 (upload). This to keep my connection usable
> while i'm running emule or other mass downloader/p2p programs.
>
> What i'm trying to do is shape every upload to max 90kbit/s but give
> priority to HTTP,SSH,TELNET,POP3,SMTP,DNS & low priority to everything
> else. The same thing for the downloads but this time for 450kbit/s.
>
> What happens is emule works as normal but HTTP gives lots of timeouts on
> connecting, and even when it connects, it continues to timeout on the
> images of the pages for example. But i've been able to determine by
> listening to a shoutcast stream that uses port 80 that once the connection
> is made it stays stable. So the problem seems to be establishing new
> connections. I dont know if the other protocols dont suffer from this
> problem or they have larger timeouts.
I executed your script on my router and I had no http timeouts.  Everything
went fine.

> I've changed every htb.init option i could think of and i couldnt fix it.
> If someone has an idea please say something.
You have a sfq qdisc attached to your parent class.  That's not possible.  You
can add the sfq qdisc, but if you add a child class, the sfq qdisc is
removed.

> Thanks.
>
> Attached are the commands generated by htb.ini compile & the list from
> htb.init list & htb.init stats.
I looked at your tc stats, and I found it strange that you have negative
tokens and ctokens.  But I don't think this is causing the http timeouts.
If you have these timeouts, is your link havely used?  If yes, you can try to
prorize ACKS/SYN packets.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx