Re: [LARTC] Problems at end of slow satelite link

Stef Coene wrote:
I think it's best you create a htb setup with different classes. One of the classes needs a higher priority so the packets in that classes are send first. Next you need to put the ssh/telnet/syn/ack packets in that classes. All needed information can be found in the LARTC howto. And you can also find more info on www.docum.org.

This is Hierarchical Token Bucket, explained in section 9.4.5 of the HOWTO document?

I was rather hoping you were going to surgest something else, as this is not in my kernel... :)

I will however check out the documentation in some more detail. There are a few unresolved questions I have on this pleasent protocol.

Like I notice it claims to scale up to the available bandwidth in proporsion to the allocated bandwidth. I need to know how it calculates this bandwidth, as our link shows all the properties of the available bandwidth being proporsional to 1/S noise. Ie, unpredictable and un-averagable.

I would like to know also whether HTB scales down, if bandwidth becomes throtted by our unpredictable pipe. And in either case, whether it's possible to have a protected channel, like an admin channel, which doen't scale up or down with the rest, staying at, say, 16kbit...

All of which I will now try and find out. And then attempt to get it into my kernels at either end. :)

Ben

The biggest mistory of my link-from-hell is the ping. This shows either a latency of 800ms, or 1.5 seconds, or up to 30 seconds when the line goes on-hold for a while. About once every two minutes. Yet Telnet/SSH consistently give latency far far more than this, of about 10 to 60 seconds consistetly.

If anybody can surgest a reason for this, I think this is likelly to be at the heart of any fix I can find...

Regards again...

Stef